The BEST Grasshopper Cocktail Recipe
Calling all mint chocolate lovers, you’ll fall head over heels for this grasshopper cocktail recipe!
It combines your two favorite flavors into one smashing sensation. It also has an eye-catching, cool, minty hue.
The grasshopper is a vintage cocktail comparable to a boozy mint chocolate shake. It’s sweet, creamy, and tastes like a liquid dessert. You can’t even tell it has booze in it!
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
Enter your email below & we’ll send it straight to your inbox.
It’s classy enough for a party but easy enough for an after-dinner sipper. So get a little blast from the past and treat yourself to a grasshopper tonight.
What’s in a Grasshopper Drink?
Out of all the decadent dessert cocktails, this one keeps things simple. All you need are three ingredients and a fancy glass.
The garnishes are optional, but I wouldn’t skip them. They add a little pizzazz and make it that much more indulgent.
Here’s what’s in the grasshopper drink:
- Shaved chocolate (optional) – For rimming the glass. You can use extra for a garnish, too.
- Ice – You need enough ice cubes to fill a cocktail shaker. But don’t put any in the glass for serving. It will water down the drink.
- Crème de menthe – You can’t have a grasshopper without the mint liqueur! Use green crème de menthe for the cool minty color.
- Crème de cacao – I use the clear version of this chocolate liqueur. It has all the flavor you want and doesn’t change the color.
- Heavy cream – For the luscious consistency and creamy milkshake-like effect.
How to Make a Grasshopper Cocktail
The grasshopper looks so fancy. And yet, it’s so ridiculously easy to make. You can whip it up in just four steps.
Here’s how to make it:
- Rim the glass. Wet the rim of a chilled cocktail glass with either of the liqueurs. Then, dip it into the chocolate shavings.
- Pour and shake. Pour the crème de menthe, crème de cacao, and heavy cream into a cocktail shaker full of ice. Shake it until chilled, about 30 seconds.
- Strain and garnish. Strain the contents into the prepared cocktail glass. Garnish it with more chocolate shavings and a mint sprig if desired.
- Serve. Take a sip and let your troubles melt away!
How to Make a Frozen Grasshopper (with Ice Cream!)
Want to turn the grasshopper into a frozen treat? It’s so easy! All you need is a blender and a couple of scoops of ice cream.
Vanilla is the most neutral flavor. But use any flavor you like to make the boozy milkshake of your dreams. Mint chocolate chip anyone?
Here’s how to make a frozen Grasshopper with ice cream:
- Pour. Add two scoops of ice cream, crème de menthe, and crème de cacao to a blender.
- Blend. Blend it until you reach the desired consistency. Add milk if needed.
- Serve. Pour it into a tall glass of choice and enjoy!
Recipe Tips & Variations
If you love the grasshopper, just wait until you try these variations! I also have some tips to help you make the best cocktail ever.
- Add a chocolate-dipped mint garnish. Elevate your garnish by dipping the tip of the mint leaves into melted chocolate.
- Try a fun rim alternative. Use cocoa powder or crushed graham crackers for a twist on the chocolate rim. It adds an extra layer of flavor and texture.
- Drizzle the glass with chocolate syrup. For a little extra chocolate in every sip! Godiva makes a great one. But any brand you like will do.
- Dial up the decadence. Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream. Sure, it’s decadent. But boy, is it yummy!
- Blended Grasshopper. For an icy take, add 3/4 cup ice plus the other ingredients to a blender. Then, blend it until smooth.
- Flying Grasshopper. Use all three ingredients plus vodka.
- Grasshopper Milkshake. Add ice cream to a blender along with the two liqueurs and milk. Then, blend it until smooth.